Built in 1928 and enlarged over the years, the old courthouse still proudly stands at Broadway and Chestnut. It was the site of many historic court battles, like the Dred Scott case and the Lemp divorce, until it was retired in 1930. It is now owned by the National Park Service. Lights go on and off, doors on the upper balconies open and close when no one is around. Some noises have been so real and eerie that one security guard actually called the St. Louis police Department and waited outside for the officers. No intruders were ever found.