The house was known for many years as the Sutton House. It was a two-story frame house and named for the family who resided there. The house had been built before the Civil War and was lived in by several generations of descendants. It seems that two women of the Sutton family killed themselves in the house and some believe they may be responsible for the female ghost who has been seen and heard here. One of the women hanged herself in the barn in 1858, while the other followed suit, hanging herself from a tree in the year in 1940. Later residents believe, however, that the ghost here may be that of a woman named Lucy Calvin. She had once lived in the house and loved the place. She also had a fondness for singing…. something which the ghost here did quite often. In fact, witnesses claim that the sound of a woman singing would sometimes fill the entire house. Dr. Fred Nolen was a later tenant of the house and he lived in it for six years before he encountered the ghost. She appeared in his bed room and seemed to glide across the floor one morning. He became aware of a presence in the house, something which visitors to the house often noticed. The sound of the singing never stopped others often saw the apparition too. He also wondered if the ghosts of children might also be present for it was not uncommon for him to hear what sounded like a child’s marbles rolling across the floor. One day, Nolen’s landlord passed away and his widow did not want to sell the house. It was destined to be destroyed by a subdivision that was planned for the area. Nolen was about to leave the house when a strong wind blew through the structure. He heard a sound like someone was dragging something across the floor and then it stopped. There was no wind that day…. it seems as if the ghost was simply saying goodbye to the home’s final living occupant. The house was destroyed in 1983.